“The ultimate goal for the SEO audit is to find the current technical optimisation level.”
Search Engine Optimisation is a combination of different pieces of work process. If any of the process remains undone in the technical part, the final output gets affected.
Several times while working for the goal to reach at the top of Search Engine Result Page, we usually forget to fix the tiny errors. In other cases, to save time we skip the middle process to reach the target at the earliest. But this causes effect on website, its speed and search engine ranking.
Once the current technicals loopholes are fixed the website will have following benefits:
- Increase in the targeted organic traffic.
- Visitors become potential leads.
- Growth in revenue.
- Decrease in website loading time.
- Increase in database.
- Increase in Site Authenticity.
To save time between major decision making of which steps to follow for SEO Audit and what not. Here is the list of most important SEO factors you must check to generate the current optimsation level:
Google has confirmed that page speed is a major ranking factor in its mobile first index. The faster your web page gets open, the more accessible it is.
Page speed is more of an indicator than a ranking factor. As 75% of the people access internet via mobile. And its a common nature of human behavior that no one wants to wait. we want everything instant, at least in the case of internet. Thus mobile response time and ranking makes a real difference.
To get the real-time page loading status, you can visit the world's top Page Speed Test Websites:
- Google’s PageSpeed Insight
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) allows internet users to check HTML and XHTML documents for well-formatted markup. Markup validation is an important step towards ensuring the technical quality of the web pages. W3C validation is the process of checking a website's code to determine if it follows the formatting standards:
- Validation as a future-proof quality check.
- It eases maintenance.
- It helps to follow ethical practices.
- It is a sign of professionalism.
On-Page SEO Validation:
On-Page Optimization refers to the measures taken within the website to improve page's search ranking. For exact On-Page SEO status, check the below mentioned elements:
- Title Tags must contain keywords.
- Meta Descriptions must have usage of keywords and engaging facts.
- Check if Images has proper Alt Tag or not.
- Ensure that site doesn't contain not a single Broken Links
- Make sure the Outbound Links used are authentic and reliable.
- Make certain that the Content has proper used H1 to H6 tags to which makes it readable and sorted.
- Observe in the webmaster tool to see the Crawlability & Indexation.
- Examine if site is developing a progressive XML Sitemap links or not.
- Check if Robots.txt is in functional mode, if not make it functional.
- Inspect if the URL Structure is SEO friendly or not.
- Introspect that Canonicalization HTML Tag is use for preventing duplicate content.
- Make certain that Redirects that the page is only using 301 and 302 redirects.
- Check if the site is redirecting from HTTP to HTTPS.
Audit Website Traffic:
Check if the visitors traffic flow is from organic or the paid ad campaigns. To check the visitors, their location and time the real-time status of visitors visit you can use these 3 free platforms:
- Google Analytics
- Google Webmaster Tool
Check for Rich Snippets/ Schema Structured Data:
Schema is a specific vocabulary of tags or a micro-data which helps to customise your website page look for the SERP. So you must check if the website contains schema markup codes and used optimally.
Examine AMP function:
The AMP is for publishers which lets sites load faster on mobiles. To validate AMP you can use this link of google to check the AMP status of your website. https://search.google.com/test/amp
Double check the backlinks as it is the most important factor to rank in the search engine. More reliable traffic link sources you own, the more valuable your site becomes.
- Get the real-time backlinks report from Google Search Console.
- Check if all the links are still valid and properly running.
- Always check the Do-Follow Vs No-Follow link Ratio.
- Check the no. of backlinks supporting your homepage.
- Remember to check the countries of backlink.
- See the source of competitors' links.
- Examine competitors' links in-depth.
- Ensure your the existing linking domains is not risky.
- Deeply study the domain social signals.
SEO Audit is the first step to start the SEO Process. Majorly it defines the loopholes and errors in the web pages. Different Digital Marketing experts have different approaches to checking the optimisation level of the website. But AMP functionality, Rich Snippets Setting, Broken Error or ReDirecting pages speed makes a crucial difference in the ranking of a web page in the year 2018.